A rare and fine George III domestic longcase regulator made for the Middle Eastern market. The mahogany veneered case, standing on a double plinth with a raised panel above and well-figured veneers throughout, has an ogee shaped caddy above with finely pierced brass frets and fluted canted corners.
The substantial eight day centre seconds movement with bottle shaped plates and six tapered baluster pillars was purchased from Thwaites, is numbered on the front plate 1933 and includes Harrison’s maintaining power, high count pinions, six-spoke wheels and a Graham type deadbeat escapement with jewelled pallets. The wood rod pendulum has a massive brass bob with calibrated rating nut beneath.
George Prior was based at 31 Prescot Street, Goldman Fields, London from 1762 to 1813. He predominantly specialised in the supply of clocks and watches to the Ottoman market trading through British merchants based in major Middle Eastern ports such as Istanbul. He is recorded as having collaborated with John Thwaites on several occasions.
The estate of a connoisseur collector of regional furniture, works of art and clocks. By repute acquired from a member of the diplomatic service who purchased it from a government department in Istanbul.