Charles Goldsborough Anderson - The 14th Countess Of Lauderdale. Part of Florida's History - Originally hanging in Thirlestane Castle at Lauder in Scotland, which has been the family seat of the Earls of Lauderdale for nearly 800 years, this magnificent portrait of Gwendoline Lucy Maitland, 14th Countess of Lauderdale was painted circa 1920. The Countess was a regular visitor to Florida for the Winter Season from 1908 until she died in 1929 at her home in Palm Beach "the Vill Azura". One of her ancestors, Major William Lauderdale of the Tennessee Volunteers, had founded Fort Lauderdale in 1838. On a famous occasion in 1926, the Mayor of Fort Lauderdale gave a civic reception for 1200 local citizens in honour of the Earl and Countess and presented them with a symbolic key to the city to celebrate their connection with its founder. The audience had to sing "God Save the King" to the tune of "America". She was an original investor and prime mover behind Floranada, an attempted new town covering 3600 acres north of Fort Lauderdale. Unfortunately the American-Btitish Improvement Corporation,the promoter of the project, collapsed along with so many other companies in the late twenties and the investors lost all their money. Possibly this precipitated the sale of some of the Lauderdale's family treasures, including this painting! Charles Goldsborough Anderson was a London portrait painter who exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy. His work can be seen at the Royal Exchange and in many important large English and Scottish Country Houses.